About the Ju 87G-1
The ear splitting screech of its sirens served as the introduction of the Ju 87 dive-bomber to France. Poland. the Balkans. Africa, England and Russia.
The first version of this famous plane. the Ju 87A-1 saw action in 1937 with the Condor Legion in Spain. Joined in 1938 and 1939 by the later Ju 87B, the Junkers dive-bomber attained greater notoriety than any other weapon with which Germany launched the Second World War.
Within the first nine months of the war, the Ju 87 acquired an almost legendary reputation. This Junkers product became synonymous with the abbreviation “Stuka” — from Sturzkampfflugzeug, a term descriptive of all dive-bombers. The success of the Stuka lasted until August, 1940, when Germany launched its aerial offensive on the British Isles. Ill-armed and out maneuvered by the defending Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Stuka paid a fearful price for its role in the “Battle of Britain”. By the end of August, the last of the Stuka Geschwader or dive-bomber wings were removed from action in Great Britain.
As late as 1945 the Ju 87 was a lethal weapon, which in the hands of an experienced, determined pilot such as Ulrich Rudel was capable of destroying 500 Russian tanks.
The Ju 87G-1 was the last version to see combat and is the subject of this Monogram model. The Ju 87G-1 and the installation of the two 37 mm. BK (flak 36) cannon under the wings had been the result of masses of Russian tanks which plagued the German army. Major Rudel, already specialized in tank-killing, flew the first experimental foray’s and was successful. The Ju 87G-1 began the struggle of destroying Russian tanks before time ran out on Germany’s Eastern Front. This version had also seen service in North Africa and on the Western front.
The Ju 87G-1 was powered by a Junkers Jumo 211J-1, 12 cylinder, inverted vee, liquid cooled engine. With the direct fuel injection this engine was rated at 1,400 H.P. at 2,600 r.p.m. With the two man crew and armed with the two 37 mm. cannon and the 1-MG 81Z machine gun the Ju 87G-1 had a range of 1250 miles, a maximum speed of 250 m.p.h. and a ceiling of approximately 24,600 feet.
I have decided not to take several pictures of the progress made last week since building it went very fast. It is all but complete except for painting and decalling.
This is what you get for now.
I have decided instead to build the Fw 190 before finishing the Stuka.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 has been called one of the truly great single-seat war-planes of the Second World War. The reason for such a statement was, that it was not only a “pilot’s airplane”, but was easy to maintain and able to with-stand a large amount of battle _damage. At every task to which it was committed the Fw 190 played a vital role.
In the summer of 1941 the Fw 190 made its combat debut over the English Channel and was an immediate success. It had clearly displayed its superiority over the best the Allies had to offer at that time, the Spitfire V. The Fw 190 maintained this superiority over all the Allied fighters for almost two years. It could outmaneuver its opponents on almost every occasion and its speed enabled it to retreat without fear of pursuit.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 underwent continual modifications throughout the war. Many different versions were produced, the A-5 through A-8 being some of the more notable. The Fw 190A-5 was 29′ 7″ long, had a span of 34′ 6″ and weighed 9,750 pounds. It was powered by the B.M.W. 801D-2 twin row, 14 cylinder, air cooled, radial engine producing 1,700 h.p. under normal conditions. With the aid of its MW50 supercharger it could produce 2,100 h.p. for short durations. This gave the Fw 190 a speed of 408 m.p.h. at 20,600 ft., a cruising speed of 298 m.p.h., a range of 500 miles and a service ceiling of 37,400 ft.
This Monogram 1/48 scale kit was designed from photographs and measurements of actual Fw 190’s. The kit includes all of the parts necessary for assembling any one of six versions of this famous fighter.